What time is it?

Noun Clause

Noun Clause is a group of related words and it contains a subject and a verb
  • Noun Clause with a Question Word
    • Where did Alice go yesterday? -> I don't know where Alice went yesterday
    • Why is Jhon always late? -> Tell me why Jhon is always late
    • How long do birds live? -> I know how long birds live
    • When was the first wheel invented? -> Do you know when the first wheel was invented?*
    • Who lives next door to Clara? -> Tell me who lives next door to Clara 
    • What happened? -> I know what happened
*noun clause must be a positive sentence
*a question mark is used at the end of this noun clause because the main subject of the sentence (do you know) are in question word order 
*special for "who" and "what happened" question word order and noun clause word order are the same when the question word is used as a subject

  • Noun Clause with a Question Word + Be
    • Whose car is that? -> I don't know whose car that is
    • What is a crow? -> Tell me what a crow is
    • What's at the end of a rainbow? -> I know what is at the end of a rainbow
    • Who is in the doctor's office? -> I don't know who is in the doctor's office
*a prepositional phrase doesn't come in front of be in a grammar

  • Noun Clause with If or Whether
    • Do you still have Doojoon's address? -> I don't know if i still have Doojoon's address
    • Will Mr. Chu be at the meeting? -> I wonder if Mr. Chu will be at the meeting
    • Is Barcelona a coastal town? -> I know if Barcelona is a coastal town
*when a yes/no question is changed to a noun clause, if is usually used to introduce the clause
*you can use the expression "or not" but it comes at the end of the clause
*whether has the same meaning as if

  • Noun Clause with That
    • Last night, i dreamed that i was at my aunt's house
    • In yesterday's newspaper that i read half of the people in the world have never  used a telephone of any kind in their entire lives
    • Carine realizes that she should study harder
*that clause are frequently used as the objects of verbs that express mental activity (believe, suppose, learn, predict, know, hope, notice, feel, etc)
*the word that is often omitted, especially in speaking

Last month, my group (Bunga as a leader) was presented UNIT 7 at SMA Negeri 8 Tangerang. In Unit 7 there is a grammar about "Noun Clause" and it was my part to present.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up